City of Toronto welcomes holiday season with Christmas tree arrival, announces Cavalcade of Lights
On 12th November, the City of Toronto signalled the start of the holiday season, welcoming its official 16.75-metre (55-foot) Christmas tree to Nathan Phillips Square. Tree decorations and preparations for the 56th annual Cavalcade of Lights presented by Desjardins Financial Group will begin on Tuesday, November 15. Cavalcade of Lights will kick off on Saturday, November 26 and run until Saturday, January 7.
This year’s naturally grown spruce tree came from Baldwin, Ontario. A crew of up to seven people will install the tree over approximately eight hours. The tree will require three days to settle before it can be decorated with more than 300,000 energy-efficient lights and 500 ornaments. It will remain on display throughout the holiday season and will then be recycled into mulch for tree planting in the spring. The Christmas tree lighting is sponsored by Toronto Hydro-Electric System.
Cavalcade of Lights opening day
Saturday, November 26 is the official opening day of Cavalcade of Lights presented by Desjardins Financial Group. Family-friendly special programming will begin at 3 p.m. and run until 11 p.m. A tree and Square lighting ceremony will take place at 8:30 p.m.
Special opening day programming will include skating presentations, food vendors and live performances:
- Ice-skating performances by Toronto’s Trinity Synchronized skating team and Olympic gold medalist Canadian figure skater Gabrielle Daleman
- Canada’s top a cappella talent Countermeasure Holiday Singers
- Contemporary African dance music with Asiko Afrobeat Ensemble
- Traditional Québécois songs mixed with electronic music by Mélisande [Electrotrad]
- Performances by Indigenous artists: Hoop Dance by Theland Kicknosway and Abenaki and Franco-Ontarian folk music by Mimi O’Bonsawin
- Lunar Lanterns of Indigenous Lights, in partnership with Lunarfest GTA, connecting Asian traditions and Indigenous cultures
- The ECHO – an interactive installation that will allow participants to explore the power hidden behind their voices produced by Desjardins
Following opening day, Cavalcade of Lights presented by Desjardins Financial Group will run until January 7, showcasing twinkling light displays and festive décor alongside public skating on the Square. This year, the event takes inspiration from light festivals and cultural celebrations around the world and features elements from a variety of holiday traditions associated with light, lantern and fire for new lighting installations.
The City is thankful for the generous support of presenting sponsor Desjardins Financial Group, Christmas tree lighting sponsor Toronto Hydro-Electric System and hotel sponsor Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel, as well as media partners CHUM 104.5, 99.9 Virgin Radio and the Toronto Star.