OTTAWA — New Democrats in Ottawa-Vanier have selected Ottawa public school board trustee Lyra Evans to be their NDP candidate in the 2022 provincial election.
Ottawa Centre NDP MPP Joel Harden
“I am thrilled to have Lyra on our NDP team. As an Ottawa school trustee she has been fighting for our schools, public education, and our kid’s futures. She is a dedicated community advocate for affordable housing and she is committed to strengthening and expanding our health care system after years of cuts under Liberal and Conservative governments. Together with Lyra, we can focus on seniors care by making long-term care and home care, public. Families in Ottawa-Vanier deserve an MPP and a government that works for them and that’s Lyra Evans and the NDP.”
Lyra Evans, NDP candidate for Ottawa-Vanier
“I have dedicated my life to serving people, first as a community volunteer and now as an OCDSB school board trustee. I have moved and passed motions on making school safer during the pandemic, improved equity through free menstrual products for all students, and created the OCDSB Green Climate Fund. I want to keep fighting for everyone who calls Ottawa-Vanier home. Fighting for affordable housing, for the expansion of our health care system to include mental health, dental care and pharmacare, and for better outcomes for students. Big changes require bold, concrete, achievable action, and to solve the problems we are faced with, that’s exactly what we’ll do.”
- Lyra was elected trustee for the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board in 2018. She is the first trans school board trustee in Canada.
- Volunteer at Youth Services Bureau of Ottawa, Kindspace, and Planned Parenthood Ottawa.
- Long-time homelessness, LGBTQ, and housing advocate.
- Ottawa Dyke March co-organizer for five years.
- University of Ottawa Graduate with background in environmental chemistry.
- Awards by Youthline (2017) and Ottawa Femmy (2016).